These lifestyle tips can help you deal with the symptoms of menopause.
Menopause may be the start of a new phase in life, but it can also bring a host of uncomfortable and unwanted symptoms, from hot flashes and night sweats to sleep problems and weight gain. Studies show that the tips below can naturally help address some of the symptoms you may face at this time in your life.
You’ll sleep better, be less irritable and experience fewer mood swings and hot flashes when you decrease the stress in your life.
- Try tai chi, massage or a leisurely bath.
- Yoga may help ease hot flashes and night sweats.
- Paced respiration is a technique that has shown the most promise in reducing hot flashes. It involves slow, controlled breathing from the diaphragm when a hot flash begins.
Eat a Well-Rounded Diet
Nourishing foods can help you shed pounds and ease mood swings by keeping blood sugar levels balanced. Choose plenty of:
- Veggies, fruits, beans/legumes and whole grains.
- Lean proteins such as fish, chicken, turkey, small amounts of lean red meat, tofu, eggs and low-fat dairy.
- Healthy fats such as avocados, olive oil, nuts, seeds and fatty fish.
Get Regular Exercise
Exercise can reduce stress and depression, improve sleep, ease joint stiffness, keep bones strong and help you maintain a healthy weight.
- Include weight-bearing cardio exercise such as walking, jogging or dancing.
- For strength, flexibility and maintenance of muscle tone and bone health, aim to do strength training at least twice a week.
Copyright 2016-2020 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved. Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Date Last Reviewed: January 31, 2020
Editorial Review: Andrea Cohen, Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
Medical Review: Eileen Engle, MD