What Is A Hospitalist?
Hospitalists are one of the fastest growing medical specialties today. They are state licensed physicians who specialize in acute care medicine in a hospital setting. Sarasota Memorial’s First Physicians Group Medical Hospitalists employ board certified internal medicine and family practice physicians as well as advanced registered nurse practitioners and physician assistants.
What Role Do Hospitalists Take In My Care?
During your stay at Sarasota Memorial Hospital, you may come under care of our dedicated team of onsite Hospitalists who will work with your doctor to manage your care while in the hospital. Hospitalists only see patients in the hospital setting. After you leave the hospital, any medical issues or follow up care you may need should be directed back to your primary care physician. Whether your hospital stay follows treatment in the emergency room or your stay was recommended by your personal physician, our hospitalists work onsite 24 hours a day, seven days a week to ensure patients receive the highest quality care.
Benefits of Hospitalist Care
- Expedited Care: Because they work in the hospital, our Hospitalists are available around the clock to address your care needs that can arise throughout the day, speeding up clinical decision-making, and in many cases, shortening your hospital stay.
- Coordinated Communication with Care Team: Hospitalists consult not only with you and your primary care physician, but also with other specialists and nurses involved in your care, following up on tests and treatments and ensuring that everyone stays informed and abreast of your care plan.
Who Pays for Hospitalists’ Medical Care?
Sarasota Memorial bills medical insurance directly as a courtesy to all patients. Charges are comparable to the fees patients would pay to their private physician caring for them in the hospital. Physician hospitalist fees are waived for uninsured patients who qualify for charity care.
Dr. Grissom joins First Physicians Group on January 16, 2016.
Dr. Grissom is board-certified in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation with a subspecialty in Spinal Cord Injury Medicine. Dr. Grissom provides a full spectrum of physical and neurological rehabilitation services, with a special focus on spinal cord injuries and the treatment of spasticity and its complications. As Medical Director of Rehabilitation Services, Dr. Grissom oversees the care of patients admitted to Sarasota Memorial’s Rehabilitation Pavilion.
His specialties and research focus includes:
- Spinal Cord Injury Medicine
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
Dr. Arun Rao joins First Physicians Group on January 16, 2017.
Dr. Rao is a board-certified general surgeon, fellowship trained in Bariatric, Minimally Invasive, and Robotic surgery. Her practice provides a comprehensive program to help patients lose weight safely and resolve many of the conditions associated with obesity, including Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, lipid disorders.
Her specialties and practice focus include:
• Advanced Procedures for Weight Loss
• da Vinci Assisted Robotic Surgery
• Roux-en-y Gastric Bypass
• Sleeve Gastrectomy
• Adjustable Gastric Banding (Lap banding)
• Complex Revisions of Previous Bariatric Procedures
Dr. Holden serves as an orthopedic surgeon and traumatologist for Sarasota Memorial’s Level II Trauma Center. In addition to his work with the hospital’s trauma team, he also works with orthopedic surgeons in the area and accepts patient referrals for complex orthopedic conditions and procedures.
He specializes in treating patients who have suffered traumatic orthopedic injuries, including:
- Fractures of the pelvis and long bones
- Peri-articular fractures, post traumatic limb salvage
- Non-union of fractures, malunion of fractures, deformity correction
- Soft tissue defects of the lower extremity and post-traumatic infections
Dr. Zafirov joins FPG on Monday, August 29, 2016.
Dr. Suescun is a board-certified general surgeon who brings his distinguished military medical service to care for pediatric to adult patients in the Sarasota area. He is proficient in all aspects of general surgery including, but not limited to, endocrine, breast, hernia, foregut, thyroid, colorectal, minimally invasive, cancer and anterior spinal exposures. Dr. Suescun is a published surgical educator and fluent in Spanish.
His specialties and practice focus include:
• Gastrointestinal Surgery
• Minimally Invasive Surgery
• Breast Surgery
• Hernia Surgery
• Thyroid Surgery
Se habla Español